Text Expansion, Multiple Clipboards, Notes,
Reminders, Handy Automation and More for Mac
Essential is a productivity tool that combines a number of (essential) tools in one handy menubar app. The 5 main tools are:
- Text Expansion – instantly type repetitive text like your name, address or resume with a shortcut of a few characters.
- Multiple Clipboards – based on the original multiple clip app CopyPaste.
- Notes – a handy place to keep your notes.
- Reminders – this is the reminders app you use on Mac OS but now in the menubar
- Scripting – scripts that provide small but powerful abilities from the menubar.
Download and install it then you can learn it’s features as needed. The 2 main features are text expansion and multi-clip tool and those are very easy to use and instantly useful for everyone.
1. Text Expansion (yType)
Text Expansion amplifies your typing ability. Type a few characters (shortcut) to paste a much larger block of text (expansion) like your name, a url, picture or even several pages of formatted text instantly anywhere on your Mac in any application.
Do you get tired typing the same url, address or response letter all the time? Save hours of time, typing hundreds of characters and the strain on your hands, eyes and brain of doing the same thing over and over. This is what computers are for. Use yType and type a few letters and a space to pop into any document a word, a sentence, a page, 20 pages or even more instantly. Use yType to ‘do less and accomplish more’.
Another way that yType can save time is in typing symbols and other difficult to find unicode characters. Make up your own unique shortcut names like like vheart for ? , etc. for unicode characters you might find useful like vcent for ¢, veuro for €, cp for ©, reg for ®, tm for ™, etc… yType makes all symbols much easier to use.
Do you have Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia? That is the fear of long words. Seriously, it is a thing. yType is the cure for this dreaded disease which afflicts children like the Hawaiian boy (a real person) whose name is Kananinoheaokuuhomeopuukaimanaalohilo. yType would allow him to type just ‘ka’ and a space or return to expand his whole name instantly saving him thousands of hours he might otherwise spend during his lifetime just typing his own name. Here is another Hawaiian who could benefit from using yType for her name.
- create a shortcut (a few letters) to enter large blocks of text or pictures and formatted text in any mac application.
- copy and paste or drag in the blocks of text, pictures or formatted text.
- use variables to insert the month, day, year, time, cursor, timezone.
- embed one variable within another.
- search thru all shortcut/expansion pairs.
- available in English, French, Russian, Spanish, Italian, German, Swedish and Japanese. Please help us add your language.
2. Multi-Clip (CopyPaste)
The first and most popular multiple clipboard utility to display, archive and edit clipbords. See and edit any clip in your history of copies or in the more permanent clip archives. Save multiple clipboards through restarts. Increibly useful, time saver, life saver for all Mac users.
Simply a centrally located handy place in the menubar to be able to create, edit and archive your notes.
This is Apple’s Reminders app but made handy by being made available instantly from the clipboard. All info is available in any app on any Mac or iOS device within the Reminders app.
This allows simply scripts to make handy utilities for counting chars on the clipboard, reformatting text and many other time consuming tasks that can be taken care of in an instant with the tap of a button.
One menubar app that provides the usefulness of 5 apps instantly at your fingertips.
Essential requires Mac OS 10.9 – 10.14 or higher.